A Mouthful of Mercury May be Dangerous

crg_jpg-smile-ranch-dr-abramczyk-0116-adj-355x500

Dr. Robyn Abramczyk

by Gina Cronin

Mercury fillings have become a concern of dental practitioners and patients across the country, and many are seeking alternatives to this potentially dangerous substance. Smile Ranch Dentistry’s Dr. Robyn Abramczyk, DDS, NMD, IBDM, follows strict and extensive guidelines for mercury removal that meet and exceed those set by the International Academy of Oral Medicine, of which she is an accredited member. ”Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element in the world; more toxic than lead and arsenic,” says Abramczyk. “Many mainstream dentists say that vapors are not released during filling removal, but it is scientifically proven that they are, and that is also stated by OSHA and HIPPA.” 

Inorganic mercury can be absorbed directly through corrosive byproducts of dental amalgams and vapors from filling removal. Studies have shown that this neurotoxin is a poison that can damage brain and nerve tissue and cause many serious health problems. It is also disruptive to the liver, kidney and gut, and leads to gut inflammation, which down-regulates detoxification and overall immunity. Despite this, 50 percent of dentists in the United States still use amalgam (silver) fillings, which are half mercury.

Abramczyk provides a Quicksilver TRI test at her office that measures and distinguishes between inorganic and other mercury types. She recommends her patients start off with liver, kidney and lymphatic drainage, plus extra protection with a QuickSilver IMD intestinal cleanse, glutathione and vitamin C before a removal. These measures are taken to optimize the body and organs for detoxification and minimize the time that mercury will stay in the body, which can be 15 to 30 years without protection. In addition, she recommends that her patients work with a naturopath, M.D., DO or other qualified health practitioner.

The mercury filling removal protocol at Smile Ranch Dentistry includes protective clothing for the patient and dental staff such as a head-to-toe gown, a net to cover hair and protective goggles with a face shield; a sealed nose piece with 100 percent medical-grade oxygen to prevent the inhalation of mercury vapors; a vitamin C IV; an external ionizer to pick up excess particles; an external vacuum at the patient’s chest to pick up mercury vapors; a cleanup tip that covers the individual tooth and suctions particulates (all tubing from dental equipment is connected to an amalgam separator at the back of the office to protect the environment); an isolite to prop the mouth open, reflect tissue away, suction and illuminate the working area; a dental dam made of nitrile (vapors can escape latex and some patients also are sensitive to it); carbide burrs to remove and chunk out the filling in large pieces and minimize particles released; mercon wipes to wipe down surfaces and instruments after filling is remove; and ozone therapy to protect the tooth before placing a safe, biocompatible restoration. Biocompatibility testing is available to all patients at the office.

Many mainstream dentists do not take these safety precautions when removing amalgam fillings. “As a biological dentist, I factor in the oral systemic connection, and how the mouth affects the body,” Abramczyk explains, “Teeth are on meridians connected to organs, so materials placed in oral cavity can affect these organs. When Smile Ranch works in the oral cavity, we only place safe materials that are biocompatible with and safe for the patients body.”

Smile Ranch is located at 6700 Horizon Rd., in Heath. For more information, call 972-772-7645 or visit SmileRanchDentistry.com

Gina Cronin is a regular contributor to Natural Awakenings magazine.

Be Sociable, Share!
Posted in: Community Spotlight, Local, Local Feature
Return to Previous Page

NA NTexas Natural Awakenings